Friday, March 23, 2012

From OLD BLOG: The Original Cattywampus!

I first used the name on a single panel effort, and man, do I mean effort. Telling a good joke - a surprise, a new joke - in a panel - is tough indeed. My admiration for the few masters of the medium grew even more. Here's the few I finished.






My sketchbook has another dozen or so ideas, but pulling them into a coherent gag that I was satisfied with often eluded me and the lack of any deadline or payment for the creation kinda made it too easy to not finish. Here's some sketchbook bits.

NO CHECKS!! BAD DOG!!
Inspired by a true event, where three of us saw a yard with signs posting "no checks" and "bad dog" and broke out in uncontrollable laughter. I think we all pictured something a little different; what I got out of it was "I told that stupid dog never to take checks!" Could also be an admoniton not to write checks. And maybe you had to be there.


"What the - it - it's made of Chocolate!!          "What kind of SICK JOKE is this!?"
Dogs Don't Get Easter
As we all know, dogs are allergic to chocolate and only some sort of sick freak would make a delicious, yummy dog enticing bunny out of the dreaded bean. 
Almost certainly my best gag for the series, but I never went back to it. Mark Martin later finished it up on facebook.

Sorry, pal, the sign says HAPPY hour.
Shortly after drawing this, I went - wait a  minute - isn't this a Gahan Wilson Cartoon already? And lost it.




Why your cat doesn't come in when you call him.
I was halfway through this - the cat is behind a shed while owner calls - when I once again realized, wait, this is a Gary Larson cartoon already.

Maybe there will be more.

1 comment:

  1. Very helpful ....... interesting ....... nice ......
    thank you .... good luck always .......
    visit also my website ....... please .....

    Penyakit Ambeien
    Penyakit Ambeien
    Obat Ambeien Herbal
    Kutil Kelamin
    Kutil Kelamin
    Penyakit Sipilis

    ReplyDelete